All good DIY lip plumper recipes begin with the base, or the carrier of all other ingredients. This is typically an oil that can hold onto the other key ingredients. In the case of lip plumpers, cayenne and cinnamon are the star ingredients that will give you plump lips in no time. You can even recycle chapstick tubes and refill when needed over and over again. Cheap, all natural ingredients that are healthier for your skin and friendly to your bank account–the ultimate beauty product.
DIY Lip Plumper Base
This lip balm base recipe has simple ingredients and is easy to follow. Once crafted this base can take on different roles–a natural restorative lip treatment, an everyday lip tint with the addition of mica powder, or turn it into a pouty lip plumper using one of the recipes below.
- Beeswax Pastilles. Heals and repairs cracked and dry lips while also allowing for the retention of moisture.
- Shea Butter. Smoothes and protects the lips. Non-greasy and great at carrying other ingredients.
- Coconut Oil. Properties allow it to stay hard at room temperature for long shelf life.
- Chapstick Tubes (optional). Use your own or purchase for your DIY projects. Fill them up with your favorite concoction and
- Pipette. The only tool needed to get the lip balm base to the tubes.
- Double Boiler or Heat Safe Bowl on Top of a Small Pan with Boiling Water. The ingredients need to melt in a controlled way to ensure proper blending.
Note: While the lip balm base displayed here is the preferred base for the recipes below, vaseline, olive oil, almond oil, or excess lip balm may be used to substitute it. In addition, you can also use one of the recipes from our collection of DIY lip balms!
1. DIY Cinnamon Lip Plumper
Cinnamon lip balm is a classic when it comes to DIY lip plumper. Someone once associated beauty with pain and when it comes to lip plumping the results depend on how much the wearer can handle. Test your lip’s sensitivity adding drops of cinnamon essential oil drops at a time to the desired effect. Check out this tutorial from StyleCraze for more on ways to enhance your lips with cinnamon.
- Lip Balm Base (see above). The key to each recipe is the base–necessary to carry the other ingredients. Make your own or use store bought.
- Cinnamon Powder. A mild irritant and abrasive that takes your lips to their plumpest.
2. DIY Cayenne Lip Plumper
Cayenne pepper added to your homemade lip balm base is easy and you most likely have it in your spice cabinet ready to go. While some may find the cayenne pepper a bit too painful, this can be remedied by lessening the amount used. Cayenne pepper delivers the results, which is why so many reach for the pepper to boost their pout. The oil and butter in your base will keep the moisture in, even long after the burn. Check out more on this powerful spice as a DIY lip plumper in this article by InspireBeautyTips.
- Lip Balm Base (see above). Olive Oil makes for a good base option if you don’t have time to make your own.
- Ground Cayenne Powder. The capsaicin in the powder is the star of this recipe. It’s gritty texture primes the lips for the blast of heat that follows.
3. DIY Cinnamon, Clove & Cayenne Lip Plumper
It’s time to get voluptuous with an easy lip plumper recipe from TopBeautyTrends that is sure to give you pouty lips. Don’t fret over the ingredients of the high priced lip plumper sold at the beauty counter, the ingredients in this recipe ingredients are all natural. When added to your base, you’ll be armed and ready with luscious lips.
- Lip Balm Base (see above). The additions of both cinnamon and cayenne in this recipe make coconut oil a wonderful option if you don’t have any DIY balm.
- Cinnamon Powder. The main function of the cinnamon is to penetrate the lips.
- Clove Essential Oil. Known for its stimulating feel, this oil seeps into the lips and provides a pleasant tingling sensation.
- Ground Cayenne Powder. Full of capsaicin, the powder opens up the lips for maximum exposure.
4. DIY Wintergreen, Peppermint & Cinnamon Lip Plumper
The power of cinnamon has been implemented in a number of lip plumpers. Combining cinnamon with the cooling effects of mint make this lip plumping tutorial by HartNana a real treat. Wintergreen and peppermint essential oils lend cool icy freshness that soothes your lips, while cinnamon activates your pout.
- Lip Balm Base (see above). This cooling concoction is ideally suited for the DIY lip plumper base.
- Wintergreen Essential Oil. A natural pain reducer. Helps the active ingredient (cinnamon or cayenne) work but not burn.
- Peppermint Essential Oil. Invigorating to the skin and uplifting to the nose. The soothing aroma and feel of the oil is unlike anything else.
- Cinnamon Powder. The cinnamon’s oils work on the surface while the mints do their soothing.
5. DIY Beeswax & Cinnamon Lip Plumper
In this lip plumper tutorial by BowlofHerbs, beeswax is added for even more healing power and moisture. If your lip balm base doesn’t contain any beeswax–it may be a great addition to try. Cinnamon added to the base gives your lips a pouty finish with a spicy flair. The beeswax contains healing properties that can prevent and repair infections and help your skin retain moisture.
- Lip Balm Base (see above). The wax in the recipe make Vaseline a great choice if you don’t have acccess to the DIY.
- Beeswax Pastilles. These little wax beads are added to the recipe to leave a moisture barrier.
- Cinnamon Powder. The power of the cinnamon is not deterred by the wax, it keeps it working longer..
6. DIY Cayenne & Peppermint Lip Plumper
As celebrities like Kylie Jenner are touting fuller lips, many are seeking to create the same effect for themselves. Cayenne pepper has been found to do just the trick. The spicy ground pepper will give your lips a kick, but the natural oils and butter in your base will restore the moisture while peppermint cools the heat down. Check out this Popsugar tutorial for more on this juicy lip plumping combination.
- Lip Balm Base (see above). While the DIY is always best, lip gloss is perfect for holding the peppermint oil and evenly spreading the cayenne across the lips.
- Ground Cayenne Powder. Coarse texture loosens pores and enters skin to create luscious lips.
- Peppermint Essential Oil. The menthol in the mint oil counteracts the cayenne’s fire.
It’s never been easier to make your own lip plumper at home. These simple DIY options will provide you with the fuller, plumper lips you desire at a fraction of the cost of name brand products. Have a DIY lip plumper suggestion of your own? Give us a shout and let us know!