Today, hair loss is not only a woman’s concern; many men are also striving stop thinning hair and to achieve some hair growth.
There are various reasons why people experience hair loss, including poor diet, excess heat treatments, age, hair products, hormonal changes, stress, and environmental conditions.
It is due to all these factors that more and more people are embracing homemade hair serums. DIY serums are both safe and economical.
Plus, it is very easy to make your own DIY hair growth serum at home out of the various essential oils that have been proven time and time again to help speed up hair growth and pump up the volume of your locks.
With a DIY hair serum , you will be able to protect your hair and scalp from all those harmful chemicals that are found in most commercial hair products.
Below there are are some of such plant-based (essential) oils that you can mix to make some of the best homemade hair serums. Let’s dive in!
1. DIY Castor Oil Hair Growth Serum
Castor oil has high amounts of ricinoleic acid, which makes it a great ingredient for both skin and hair treatments.
Ricinoleic acid does a great job at balancing the scalp’s pH, raising blood circulation to the scalp, and boosting hair growth.
Castor oil is full of proteins and minerals and rich in vitamin E. Its antifungal properties also make it great for your scalp as they help you get rid of dandruff and other infections.
This oil’s antioxidant properties are great for the hair keratin and also for making your hair stronger, smoother, and less frizzy.
When mixed with essential oils, castor oil can be turned into one of the best DIY hair growth serum that will help your hair grow (back) longer and stronger, leaving it with sheen.
- Empty bottle. Preferably glass, sterilize it and dry it out beforehand.
- 4 tablespoons safflower essential oil – Pour the whole quantity in the bottle.
- 20 drops of rosemary oil. Add it to the mix.
- 20 drops of cedarwood essential oil. Add it to the mix.
- 20 drops of basil essential oil. Add it in and mix.
- 4 tablespoons of castor oil. Add this oil last and shake well.
- Water (optional) – to dilute the mixture.
Apply this serum to your scalp every night and massage your hair to ensure it gets to the roots. Proceed to wash your hair every morning with a natural shampoo.
2. DIY Aloe Vera-Based Hair Growth Serum
Aloe vera is regarded as a wonder plant and is known for its different good uses for the skin, hair, and overall wellbeing.
When blended with some essential oils, it helps improve your scalp’s health and boost hair growth. It is usually mixed with nettle leaf, horsetail leaf, and essential oils like rosemary, lavender, and Clary sage to make a great DIY hair growth serum.
Nettle leaf is full of minerals like potassium, magnesium, and iron. It is also loaded with vitamins like A, C, and K. Due to its great help in stimulating hair growth, it is usually included in many natural hair products.
Horsetail leaf is packed with silica and helps speed up healthy hair growth. The essential oils also help promote scalp health and hair growth.
Meanwhile, Aloe vera gel refreshes the scalp and moisturizes the base for the DIY hair growth serum. Here’s the complete tutorial, although our recipe is simplified and a bit more effective, in our opinion.
- 2 cups of purified water. Pour it in a clean pot and let it boil.
- 4 tablespoons of dry nettle leaf.
- 4 tablespoons of dry horsetail leaf. Add them to the boiling water, turn off the heat, and let the mix sit for about 15 minutes.
- 4 tablespoons of pure aloe vera gel. Add them to the mix and stir, then pour it in a bottle.
- 20 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- 20 drops of clary sage essential oil.
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil. Add the oils to the bottle, then shake thoroughly to blend the ingredients together.
Every night before going to bed, apply this serum to your hair roots. Ensure you shake the bottle well before use.
This DIY hair growth serum can last for up to three months in the refrigerator.
3. DIY Essential Oils for Hair Growth Serum
This DIY hair growth serum is a combination of different essential oils that help in hair growth by making it long and radiant. Massaging the serum into the scalp promotes hair growth, discourages hair loss, and boosts blood circulation.
Lavender oil helps with moisturizing the scalp and balancing sebum secretion. Rosemary is rich in antioxidants that help reverse premature graying and minimize hair thinning. It also helps stimulate hair follicles.
Tea tree essential oil is full of antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti infections properties. This makes it great for any scalp-related conditions. The oil helps in exfoliating, opening blocked hair follicles, and improving the immune system.
All these make this serum likely the best DIY hair growth serum.
- An empty sterilized bottle.
- 2 ounces of jojoba essential oil. Pour this in first as it serves as the base and the carrier of the whole mix.
- 5 drops of tea tree essential oil.
- 2 drops of basil essential oil.
- 10 drops of lavender oil.
- 5 drops of rosemary essential oil. Add the other essential oils to the mix and shake well to blend them in.
Put a small quantity onto your palm and rub evenly to spread it. Massage the blend slowly into your scalp in a circular motion.
Do this every night before going to bed and let the oils stay on your scalp overnight. Finally, use a gentle shampoo to wash your hair and scalp in the morning.
4. Plant Oil-Based Hair Growth Serum Recipe
There are other well-known oils that can lead to amazing results in your hair growth journey. These oils include:
Coconut oil: When massaged into the scalp, it improves blood circulation and delivers oxygen and nutrients to your hair. It has both antifungal and antibacterial properties that help fight dandruff and lice that usually also cause hair loss. Also, it is full of vitamins E and K, as well as iron, which are known to improve hair growth. Its antioxidant content will leave your hair soft and shiny.
Sweet almond oil is also known to help reduce hair loss and improve its growth. When you moisturize the hair with this oil, it will benefit from magnesium and vitamins that this oil is rich in. You will also improve the blood circulation and minimize hair breakage.
Avocado oil leaves the hair feeling soft and elastic. Due to its high-fat content, your hair will have an improved texture and break less often than usual.
Vitamin E oil is also another great hair growth solution. You are bound to have long-lasting effects from vitamin E application. It improves both blood circulation and the oxygen supply to the scalp. Combining all these great oils will help you come up with one incredible DIY hair growth serum.
- A clean container.
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or castor oil. Pour the carrier oil of your choice into the container.
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Add this to the container and shake well to blend everything in.
- 3 capsules of vitamin E. Break the capsules and pour their contents into the mix.
Put a small quantity of this serum onto your palm and apply it to your entire scalp. Comb your hair carefully to spread the serum along the hair length.
Repeat it twice daily and always use a mild shampoo to rinse off.
DIY Hair Growth Conclusion
These DIY hair growth serums are great for your hair, and they will bring no harm to your health. If you have any other DIY hair growth serums that have worked miracles for you, feel free to share it with in the comments below.
Enjoy watching your hair grow using these all-natural products.