Not everyone has the time or the money to have their hair dyed by a professional. Thankfully, there are numerous DIY hair dye recipes that you can make at home using typical household items.
All twelve of these DIY hair color recipes can be completed in your home in under an hour so you can have the hair you desire without the hefty price tag.
So, without further ado, here’s how to dye your hair at home without using commercial hair dyes or bleach!
1. DIY Coffee Hair Dye
This all-natural coffee-based hair dye recipe is a leave-in treatment that gives your hair an attractive shade of brown. Not only does this recipe leave your hair shiny beautiful, but it also smells fantastic.
To make this homemade hair dye, you will need:
- Organic espresso coffee. To mix in and give your hair that perfect shade of brown.
- Leave-in conditioner. This all-natural leave in conditioner works to protect your hair once the color sets.
2. DIY Black Tea Hair Dye
This DIY hair dye recipe calls for a mix of your favorite teas. Not only does this hair dye work to change your hair black in less than 20 minutes, it works to nourish your hair from root to tip the entire time.
To make this hair dye, you will need:
- Black tea leaves. This type of tea creates the ultimate blackness.
If you’re looking for a crazier look that you can achieve at home by yourself, we recommend going through our collection of DIY ombre hair tutorials!
3. DIY Food Coloring Hair Dye
This is one of the easiest way for dying blonde hair in fun and exciting colors. Whether you want to add one color or an entire rainbow, this is a DIY hair dye project that you can complete in under an hour.
Additionally, a DIY temporary hair dye with food coloring is one of the least expensive ways to add a touch of color to your hair.
To dye your hair with food coloring, you will need the following items:
- Food coloring. To apply to your hair.
- Rubber gloves. You’ll need them to protect your hands and prevent staining during the process.
4. DIY Hair Lightening, Naturally
If you have naturally dark hair and you want to add highlights or lighten it all, you are in luck. This recipe is quick and easy to follow and does not require you to sit around and wait.
Instead, mix these ingredients together, apply them to your hair, and let the dye work without worrying.
To make this homemade hair dye, you will need:
- Lemons. It’s an all natural acid that works to lighten the hair.
- Organic honey. To create the perfect lightening shade.
- Shower cap. To keep everything together in the damp hair.
- Shampoo and condition product. To rinse everything off.
5. DIY Jello Hair Dye
Jello is another inexpensive ingredient that has promising results when it comes to DIY hair dye. This ingredient is rich in color, smells great, and is extremely easy to work with.
In under an hour, you can have the look you want by gathering these items:
- Sugar free jello. The main component used to create an attractive colored finish in your hair.
- Pan. To cook the jello and activate its coloring powers.
- Bowl. To hold the jello and water to dip your hair.
- Towel. You’ll need to protect your clothing from the dye.
6. DIY Cinnamon Hair Dye
Cinnamon is a natural ingredient that works to naturally lighten your hair color. Not only will it create an ultimately lighter appearance, but it will establish a fine touch of cinnamon red in your hair.
This DIY dye is quick and easy to mix together and apply to your hair. In less than an hour, you will add an attractive color to your locks so start gathering the following ingredients:
7. DIY Mixed Herb Dye
Mixing a few herbs in a pan over a hot fire can work wonders when creating your own hair dye. This blend of reds and browns works to lift the color, add natural highlights, and leave your mane shiny and smooth.
Following this hair dye recipe requires about an hour and leaves your hair colored permanently.
- Indian gooseberry (Amla Powder). Creates a lasting dark brown highlight in your hair.
- Beetroot. Adds a natural red glow to your hair.
- Henna. Used to create a lasting and conditioning hair dye.
- Tea leaves. Works to infuse color and leave it soft and shiny.
8. DIY Vegan Hair Dye
This all-natural vegan hair dye is perfect for individuals that are environmentally focused. Mixing together a few simple ingredients will help lift your hair to a whole new color.
This simple recipe takes under 5-minutes to mix and under 45-minutes from start to finish. Simply gather the following ingredients to get started:
- Carrot juice. This is used to create natural highlights in your hair.
- Beet juice. Mixed in to create rich tones of red in your hair.
9. DIY Black-to-Brown Hair Dye
Going from black to brown hair color is typically a difficult task. Thankfully, this DIY tutorial shows you just how uncomplicated it can be.
Gathering two simple ingredients and mixing them together to form a paste will lighten your hair from black to brown within minutes, creating a permanent and naturally beautiful appearance.
To get started, you will need:
- Henna leaves or powder. To create a rich brown color for your hair.
- Aloe vera extract. To create a tight hold for the DIY solution to your hair.
10. DIY Hair Dye Oil
Sure we have all heard of dye for hair but very few recipes actually create an oil that works to change your hair color.
This coconut infused hair oil lifts away the grays and leaves your hair blacker and shinier than ever before.
This is a simple recipe you can make over a stove top fire by gathering the following ingredients:
- Coconut oil. To create a solution base for your oil.
- Curry leaves. To create the actual color that is applied to your hair.
11. Natural DIY Hair Bleach
This natural hair bleach recipe is one of our favorites – it uses honey, cinnamon, and other natural ingredients to get rid of hair pigment without destroying its structure.
Here’s the full list of ingredients you’ll need for it:
- Regular honey. This is the base of your natural hair bleach and helps hair retain moisture and strengthen its follicles.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon can lighten dark hair and also stimulate hair growth.
- Olive oil. Highly moisturizing and nurturing for the scalp and hairs.
- Apple cider vinegar. Removes residue from hair, makes it shiny, and allows the active ingredients in this DIY hair dye to work on the whole length of your hair.
- Water: To adjust the thickness of the final product.
12. DIY Kool Aid Hair Dye
Did you know that there are more uses to this childhood favorite other than simply drinking it? Usually, used for dyeing the tips of the hair, this DIY Kool Aid hair dye recipe offers an inexpensive alternative to salon or store-bought hair dyes.
In less than an hour, you’ll be ready to show off your crazy new hair color!
- Kool-Aid. This will color your hair in whatever color you want. You can mix different colored packets to achieve new colors.
- Pot. You’ll have to boil the Kool-Aid.
- Bowl. To transfer the Kool-Aid after boiling.
Each of these hair dye recipes is a safer and less expensive alternative to salon style hair dyes. Whether you are trying to lighten dark hair, darken light hair, or add either a whole new color or some highlights to your natural color, each of these recipes offers the perfect solution to get you started today.
Do you have any hair dyeing cheats we do not know about?