Whether you have a head full of curls that you just can’t seem to tame or fine, straight hair that’s always getting in knots, these at-home solutions will help you get and keep the tangles out. The best DIY hair detangler recipes are quick and easy to make and will help you the smooth, tangle-free hair you’ve been dreaming of.
If you’ve been struggling to find the right detangler for your hair, then check out our list of do-it-yourself recipes that you can tweak to fit your needs and preferences. And we keep it simple, providing you with all of the tools you need right at your fingertips.
1. Lavender and Rosemary Hair Detangler
Not only does this DIY hair detangler smell great, but it is also fast and easy to make. And it’s free of the added chemicals and impurities you’re likely to get in store-bought treatments. It also provides the added benefits of actually healing the scalp and hair follicle while smoothing and detangling to get to the root of the problem (no pun intended). To whip up this home remedy, you’ll need:
- Purified or distilled water to dilute the mixture of essential oils and vinegar.
- Apple cider vinegar with the mother to make sure you’re getting all of the added benefits of the recipe.
- Rosemary essential oil which serves to soften and fragrance the hair.
- Lavender essential oil that also serves dual purposes of nourishing and relaxing the hair as well as lightly fragrancing the mixture.
2. Homemade 3-Ingredient Hair Detangler
A no-nonsense hair detangling remedy, this recipe gets rid of all of the “extras” and relies on three simple ingredients to soften and detangle the hair. Even so, it still has a light, pleasant fragrance and nourishes the hair as it gets rid of tangles. Prepare to be wowed and make sure you have these components on hand:
- Raw, organic apple cider vinegar to provide you with the maximum benefit from the detangler.
- Pure lavender essential oil not only has a nice fragrance, but it also has several inherent properties that eliminate tangles and soften the hair.
- Distilled water keeps the solution pure while diluting it enough to make it easy to use.
3. DIY Hair Detangler for Sensitive Scalps
If you or your little one has a sensitive scalp, then this spray is a detangler you’ll want to try. It might be made for delicate heads, but the solution is still just as effective at getting those tough tangles out. Quit dreading the daily hair brushing fight and gather these supplies instead:
- Raw apple cider vinegar delivers a powerful punch of probiotics to the hair to loosen tangles while maintaining the integrity of your hair.
- Pure aloe vera gel calms any scalp sensitivities while working to lubricate tangles and reduce hair issues.
- Distilled water dilutes the solution making everyday use as simple as a spritz.
- Pure essential oils, like lavender, lightly fragrance the mixture while also softening the hair and soothing the scalp.
4. Homemade Hair Detangler for Natural Hair
Even healthy, natural hair is prone to tough tangles and stubborn knots unless you have this homemade solution. If you’ve ever tried pure coconut oil in your hair with less than satisfactory results, it’s because you didn’t have it in the right ratio with these two other key ingredients. End the battle with your natural hair with these simple ingredients (you may already have on hand):
- Unrefined coconut oil softens and moisturizes the hair and scalp to make combing through your hair easy and painless.
- Extra virgin olive oil nourishes from root to tip to loosen any matting and make detangling a snap.
- Warm water serves as a vehicle for the solution and makes application quick and easy.
5. DIY Growth Stimulating Hair Detangler
Kill two birds with one stone with this ultra-nourishing and growth stimulating DIY hair detangler. This home remedy not only gets rid of the nots in your hair, but it also helps initiate faster hair growth. Enjoy beautiful long locks without the tangles with these ingredients:
Raw apple cider vinegar to balance the pH of your scalp and stimulate hair growth naturally.
- Almond oil contains rich fatty acids that both soften and add shine to your hair while it loosens stubborn tangles.
- Pure rosemary essential oil is known for its benefits to hair growth and is packed with powerful antioxidants that reverse thinning and treat underlying scalp issues.
- Aloe vera helps maintain the collagen in your hair follicles and helps maintain healthy hair growth while it loosens stubborn knots.
- Glycerine restores moisture to dry hair and prevents breakage as it detangles. It also helps reduce split ends.
- Distilled water serves as a vehicle for all of the ingredients to simplify application.
6. DIY Hair Detangler with Jojoba Oil
This fast and frugal hair detangling option smooths and softens your hair to gently remove tangles. It’s also free of any chemicals or harsh ingredients, making it a perfect option to use for kids and even babies if you have a little one with lots of tangles. Put your hair woes aside and gather these materials:
- Pure jojoba oil hydrates the hair and naturally mimics the oil your scalp naturally produces to lubricate the hair and follicle.
- Lavender essential oil relaxes and calms while it soothes the scalp and gently releases tangles.
7. Homemade Herbal Hair Detangler for Long Hair
If you have long locks that are prone to tangling, this detangling spray just might be the perfect solution for you. With the added benefits of marshmallow root, this recipe not only naturally softens the hair, but it also boosts hair growth and provides natural shine. Gather these ingredients to end your fight against long, tangled locks:
Distilled water is the ideal way to dilute these ingredients to make everyday application a breeze.
- Marshmallow root naturally smooths, soothes, and strengthens the hair.
- Apple cider vinegar restores the natural pH of the scalp, solving any underlying issues that may be contributing to hair issues.
- Extra virgin olive oil nourishes the hair as it loosens knots and tangles to complete this perfect DIY hair detangler.
Bonus tip: If you really want to tame your hair, you can also try a natural leave-in conditioner to de-frizz your hair and help smooth it.
Brushing your hair doesn’t have to feel like a battle every single day. And while other conditioners and detanglers may help, their chemical properties and cost often make them a far reach from a good “solution.” These DIY hair detangler recipes are the best of both – free from unnecessary ingredients and toxins and cost-effective. With a few key ingredients and a glass spray bottle or two, you can have a safe, effective DIY remedy for getting even the most stubborn knots and tangles out of your hair.