Every girl needs a great face scrub to help her put her best face forward. Exfoliation removes the dead, dry top layers of skin so that the fresh, glowing skin underneath can shine through for a young and healthy look. When you make your own DIY face scrub, you know exactly what ingredients go into the recipe. In addition, do it yourself facial scrubs usually save money over their store-bought counterparts. Here are 10 recipes to get you started on made-at-home exfoliation products no matter if you’re a beginner or an expert in DIY.
1. Salt Glow Face Scrub
This sea salt scrub not only clears away dead skin cells, but it also puts good, nourishing ingredients into your skin. A beginner-level DIY face scrub, it takes just three ingredients to make:
- Raw honey. Honey rinses right off, leaving no stickiness behind.
- Himalayan sea salt. Regular table salt will dry your face out. Instead, go for a good quality Himalayan sea salt.
- Oil. Olive oil, sweet almond oil or avocado oil will work here.
2. Coffee Scrub
If you’re a girl who struggles with acne or hyperpigmentation, give a DIY facial scrub made with coffee a try. This recipe, which can be made by both scrub newbies or experts, helps cut down on redness and dryness.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Coffee. Leftover coffee grounds, which are much softer than dried grounds, are the way to go.
- Organic honey. This ingredient has antibacterial properties to counter acne.
- Olive oil. Regular kitchen olive oil will work just fine.
3. Lavender Vanilla Relaxing Facial Scrub
This face scrub DIY requires a slightly longer list of ingredients, but it’s still easy to put together. The calming scents will leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed. Gather the following ingredients, and get ready to scrub your stress away:
- White sugar. This is where the exfoliating action of this scrub comes from.
- Almond oil. This holds the scrub together and also moisturizes skin.
- Vitamin E oil. This oil helps hydrate skin.
- Vanilla extract. Use the real deal, not imitation vanilla extract.
- Lavender essential oil. A few drops of lavender oil are all it takes to start melting your stress away.
4. Better Than Botox Scrub
If your skin is showing signs of aging, perk it up with this recipe from KulaMama. It’s quick to make, but plan to spend up to five minutes rubbing it into your skin. Gather these ingredients for this DIY face scrub:
- Baking soda. This is alkaline, so it’s a good idea to use rose water on your face when you’re finished with the scrub.
- Manuka honey. Use honey from the manuka tree to counter inflammation.
- Lavender oil. Add the oils after mixing the baking soda and honey.
- Frankincense oil. This oil works as an astringent.
5. Scrub for Oily Skin
If you struggle with an oily face, you need to try this DIY face scrub for oily skin a.s.a.p. It’s great for busy people because you can multitask while it sits on your skin for five minutes. The recipe calls for:
- Oatmeal. The main ingredient in this scrub, oatmeal is anti-inflammatory.
- Brown sugar. Unlike some scrubs, this one calls for a just a bit of sugar.
- Apple cider vinegar. This ingredient can help lighten pimples and acne scars.
- Lemon juice. Squeeze this straight from a lemon!
6. Moisturizing Facial Scrub
A DIY face scrub for dry skin should be rich in moisturizing ingredients. This recipe is super hydrating, but it requires more prep work than most DIY face scrubs. It calls for using the stove, so it’s best for those comfortable in the kitchen. You’ll need:
- Double boiler. Use this tool to heat your ingredients.
- Argan oil. This oil is known for its moisturizing benefits.
- Jojoba oil. This one moisturizes and cleanses.
- Shea butter. With shea butter in the ingredients, you know this scrub will be good for dry skin!
- Vitamin E oil. Vitamin E oil is a moisturizer.
- Tea tree oil. This oil has cleansing properties.
- Ground apricot kernels. These are a natural exfoliant.
- Ground blueberries. Purchase blueberries from local sources as you only need the freshest.
- White sugar. The sugar adds to the scrubbing action of this mixture.
7. Tea Bag Face Scrub
If you’re a green tea fan, save your used bags to make a DIY face scrub. The following tutorial shows you how to upcycle tea bags into a scar-fading scrub.
Grab these ingredients:
- Green tea bag. After brewing tea, let the bag cool. Then, open it and dump the leaves into a small bowl.
- Honey. This moisturizing ingredient holds the scrub together.
- Rice flour. The addition of rice flour is helpful for fading acne scars.
Note: If you love making your own beauty products, you should also take a look at our article on DIY soap recipes.
8. Face and Lip Scrub
Perfect for beginners, this tutorial from Kasey Trenum teaches you to make a scrub using only two ingredients. It can be used on your face and lips.
- White sugar. There’s glycolic acid in sugar to help exfoliate your skin.
- Olive oil. Any olive oil in your kitchen cabinet will do.
9. Lemon Sugar Scrub
This DIY face exfoliator recipe relies on lemons, which are known for their skin-lightening properties. To save you the trouble of squeezing fresh lemons, the recipe uses lemon oil. Here’s what you’ll need:
- White sugar. Sugar is the key to this scrub’s exfoliating power!
- Grapeseed oil. This oil stays liquid at room temperature.
- Lemon essential oil. Lemon can increase your sensitivity to sunlight, so limit sun exposure for 24 hours after applying this scrub.
10. Nutmeg Scrub
Blackheads are pesky, but this super easy recipe for nutmeg scrub can help take care of them. Use it on the areas where blackheads give you trouble. All you’ll need is:
- Ground nutmeg. You can grind your own or purchase a powdered version. Nutmeg is antibacterial and exfoliating.
- Milk. Mix equal parts ground nutmeg and milk to make this DIY face scrub.
DIY exfoliating face scrubs take common kitchen and household items and turn them into rejuvenating beauty products. Every girl needs a few go-to scrub recipes that she can whip up for at-home facials. What’s your favorite way to make a DIY face scrub?