The pursuit of moist, youthful and acne-free skin traditionally means numerous trips to the cosmetics aisle or a beauty goods store. This may eat into your bank account fast. Also, there may be the issue of ingredients in store bough moisturizers that are not always a good match to your vegetarian or vegan lifestyle.
We present this list of DIY face moisturizer recipes in an effort to save you money and prevent you from using the products that contain animal by products.
You will see a variety of items that serve as the base to hold the creams, along with a number of essential oils and other ingredients that make these homemade products unique. Even though these creams have a shorter shelf life than the drugstore ones, they are a lot healthier.
1. DIY Face Moisturizer for Acne-Prone Skin
This DIY face moisturizer relies on a base of shea butter with aloe vera to directly tackle acne and its unsightly effects.
The recipe primarily involves a few minutes of mixing the ingredients, many of them being essential oils.
- Raw shea butter: Unrefined shea butter is the base for this recipe. It provides a soothing feeling and moisturizes and nourishes the skin.
- Pure Aloe vera gel: You may have felt the soothing and healing power of aloe vera if you’ve experienced a sunburn or other irritation on your skin. Aloe Vera helps this DIY natural face moisturizer help treat the acne on your skin and the dryness, if any.
- Raw honey: Honey doesn’t just taste sweet. When it comes to a good homemade face moisturizer, this ingredient suppresses the inflammation from acne, attacks the acne-causing bacteria, and draws surrounding moisture to your skin and locks it in there.
- Rose water: This component of this DIY face moisturizer contributes to a fresh smell, hydration, and a freshness free of oils and stickiness.
- Tea tree essential oil: The healing powers of the tea tree essential oil is based on its ability to clean infected areas, fight off bacteria, and reduce inflammation.
- Geranium essential oil: Geranium supplies the oils that soothe, relax and provide a refreshing scent in this moisturizer.
- Lavender essential oil : This essential oil is another one in the line of therapeutic and comforting ingredients for a DIY face moisturizer such as this.
- Magic Bullet: A small blender such as this Magic Bullet mixes together all of these ingredients.
- 4-oz amber glass jar: An amber tint for the jar can protect the mixture from the sun or other types of UV light and provides good decoration. Use a clean, sterile stick to get out the cream in order to prevent it from being contaminated with the bacteria on your skin (our hands are never sterile even after a thorough hand wash)
2. DIY Aloe Vera & Almond Oil Face Moisturizer
If you have normal skin, add this DIY natural face moisturizer with aloe vera and almond oil to your skin regimen. You will only need to spend a few minutes mixing and melting ingredients.
The author of this recipe recommends that you leave out the essential oils because they may provide more fragrance than you want or need.
- Aloe vera gel: The cooling effect of aloe vera appears as a repeating theme in our list of dry face moisturizer recipes. Certain Aloe Vera products also contain vitamin E, one of the other key components of this particular recipe.
- Coconut oil: Use a slow Rising Heat to melt this high quality carrier oil and mix it with the other ingredients. Coconut oil has a light fragrance so don’t worry about this homemade face moisturizer’s smell being overpowering.
- Vitamin E oil: Especially in the natural form, vitamin E oil heals, reverses damage from wind, sun and other elements, and brings nutrients to your face and other parts of your body.
- Almond oil: This ingredient continues the theme of light texture and effectiveness for a truly soft and moisturized skin.
3. DIY Honey & Avocado Moisturizer
On this DIY face moisturizer list, you see a number of unique ingredients that also find their ways into food. One such ingredient is avocado.
Blending the ingredients below is the first step to a youthful and moist appearance for the face and the rest of your body.
- Avocado: This essential component for guacamole contains vitamins, body friendly fats, and antioxidants. For your face, avocado can moisturize, clean and stunt eruptions of acne. The avocado pulp is also a healing agent.
- Fresh Cream: Apply some fresh cream to soften or liquefy the avocado and honey.
- Honey: As we’ve mentioned in this DIY natural face moisturizer roster, the honey is an anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and healing ingredient.
- Blender: Mix these ingredients within a good size blender. At the end of your process, you should have a smooth cream.
4. DIY Sensitive Skin Face Moisturizer
In this entry on our DIY face moisturizer list, you’ll see many of the same ingredients such as shea butter, vitamin E, and aloe vera gel.
This mixture for sensitive facial skin emphasizes items with a low comedogenic rating. The lower the number, especially the closer to zero, the less likely you’ll have clogged pores.
This concoction should take no more than 5 minutes to make.
- Apricot kernel oil: This ingredient to the recipe realize on it’s like nature and ability to moisturize in a gentle fashion. The apricot seed oil does not irritate your skin, making it a great DIY natural face moisturizer if you have sensitive skin. With the apricot having a comedogenic rating of two, you might opt for hemp seed oil if you have skin susceptible to acne and breakouts.
- Myrrh: With this essential oil comes an agent to provide relief from the redness or dryness of the skin.
- Clary Sage: When blended with the other ingredients, this herb based essential oil offers some sweetness and a nutty fragrance to this homemade face moisturizer.
- Helichrysum: This essential oil compliments the Clary Sage. The beauty benefits of helichrysum include fighting acne, aging, inflammation, rash and other blemishes on your face.
- Hand mixer: A relatively inexpensive and simple hand mixer such as this one is all you need to mix the shea butter and all other ingredients into a DIY face moisturizer.
If you need extra help in dealing with acne-prone skin, also check out our collection of DIY pimple masks!
5. DIY Milk & Olive Oil Moisturizer
This DIY natural face moisturizer recipe brings together an odd blend of ingredients. You’ll find here ingredients that you would drink for strong healthy bones, oils you might use for an Italian feast, and the juice from a flavorful exotic fruit.
- Whole Milk: The lactic acid in milk makes this moisturizer a great DIY face moisturizer for dry skin it can turn an otherwise dry and rough face soft into a baby-soft one.
- Extra virgin olive oil: This plant-based oil promotes a healthy skin.
- Lime juice: This ingredient is needed to cleanse your skin by ridding your face of dead cells and acne.
This moisturizer works best after a gentle face scrub. Check out our collection of DIY face scrub recipes here!
6. DIY Bronzer Moisturizer for Dry Skin
When you create your own homemade face moisturizer, you can play with many types of ingredients. This bronzer lotion, which can be used on your face and the rest of your body, is such an example of a creative DIY natural face moisturizer.
In addition to moisturizing, you actually get some nice tone to your skin as well.
- Plain body lotion: For this DIY face moisturizer to have its optimal effect, you’ll need an unscented base. Plain body lotion does the work for this.
- Cinnamon: The purpose of cinnamon here is color, not taste. Use the cinnamon very sparingly, especially if your skin is prone to irritation.
- Cocoa powder: Add cocoa powder to the mixture if you want a darker skin complexion.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch lightens the bronzer.
7. DIY Aloe Vera Gel & Essential Oils Moisturizer
The possibilities you have for a this homemade moisturizer are unique especially because of the essential oils that are used.
In this vegan DIY face moisturizer, we feature two of those oils not previously appearing on our list. You will recognize standard ingredients such as aloe vera gel that provides the base and holds the rest of the ingredients together.
- Aloe vera gel: The cooling effect of aloe vera appears as a recurring theme on our list of dry face moisturizer recipes. Certain aloe vera products also contain vitamin E.
- Sesame oil: Sesame oil moistens and nourishes dry skin.
- Cedarwood essential oil: You will receive a natural, soothing, and calming influence from this essential oil. The forest-like scent compliments other essential oils’ aroma.
- Other essential oils. You can add other oils depending on your skin’s needs and your own preferences.
8. DIY Face Moisturizer with Beeswax for Dry Skin
For this entry on our homemade face moisturizer list, we have used a number of ingredients and bases that hold the cream together.
Here we focus on the beeswax. Some melting and waiting may be involved too. However, the extra time will help you get that effect of having a guard against escaping moisture and drying of your face.
- Beeswax pellets: Let these pieces of beeswax melts slowly but apply low heat.
- Heatproof jug: A heat-proof, stainless steel jug or a large heat-proof jar holds the combination of beeswax, coconut oil, and olive oil. Place it in a saucepan. Then, fill the pan with water, using low heat on the stove.
- Electric whisk: Whip your mixture with an electric whisk or a fork. You want to achieve a thick and creamy texture, so you may need to stir every five minutes.
We have offered you some examples of no-fuss DIY face moisturizer products that you can confidently make in the comfort of your own home.
Many of these ingredients are things you may already have in your kitchen cabinet or where you keep personal care items.
Let us know if any of these work for you or if you have other ideas to add to this list of DIY natural face moisturizers.