Buttons started out as tools that ensure clothes are properly fitted and easy to put on, but they work excellent for crafting. There are numerous DIY button craft ideas that you can complete by yourself or with family and kids, all fairly easy to complete. Here are the nine most adorable and creative ideas you can go through in less than an hour with the right tools at hand.
1. DIY Button Bowl
This is a fun solution for a candy bowl, decorative centerpiece, or a bowl to hold small desk items. This DIY project tutorial is quite easy to follow for individuals of all ages and does not take long at all to complete. For this project you will need the following items to get started:
- Transparent school glue: to glue all the buttons together and create a filler between gaps.
- Colorful buttons: to use as the actual bowl.
- Aluminum foil: to place a barrier between the bowl and the buttons to make lifting the button bowl out easier.
- Plastic bowl: to use as a mold for your button bowl.
Alternatively, you can follow this tutorial . This tutorial shows another idea for creating an attractive button bowl and is extremely easy to follow. Additionally, you can also incorporate canvas, hemp, or even fabric to make this an even more attractive piece. For this project you will need:
- Balloons: to use as a mold for the bowl.
- Buttons: to create a bowl.
- Clear adhesive: to secure the buttons together to form the bowl.
2. DIY Button Covered Letters
These DIY button craft ideas take ordinary wood letters to a whole new level. This is a rather simple project that can be completed in about an hour. Once the paint dries, dressing up the finished piece takes only minutes and can be completed with the following items:
- Paints/Brushes: to cover the letter and creative an attractive finish below the buttons.
- Wood letter: to correspond to your name, theme, etc.
- Hot glue gun: to adhere the buttons to the letters.
- Buttons: to cover the letter and create an attractive finished project.
3. DIY Button Tree Art
These DIY button craft ideas for tree canvases are enjoyable for the whole family. This is a project that requires a touch of artistic talent, but not necessarily the level of Picasso. Gather the following items to complete this project with your little ones:
- Mixed Buttons: to cover the trunk and leaves of the tree.
- Canvas: the backboard of the entire project.
- Markers: to color the tree and trunk.
- Drawing/Sketch pencils: to draw the tree onto the canvas.
- Transparent adhesive: to secure the buttons to the canvas.
4. DIY Adorable Button Flowers
These DIY button craft ideas are used to create an attractive flower bed that is sure to last! This is another family-friendly project that takes a little patience to complete. For this project you will need:
- Clay: to use as the flower base
- Hot glue gun: to hold the buttons together and secure them to the straws.
- Buttons: to make the flowers.
- Bendy straws: to use as the flower stems.
5. DIY Picture Frames
With a little time and dedication, you can use buttons to decorate an ordinary picture frame. This is a simple project that brings a whole new life to a traditional frame. Not only do these DIY button craft ideas look great in your home, they also make excellent presents for birthdays and holidays. To get started, gather the following items:
- Unfinished frames: to attach buttons to in order to bring a new life to your photograph.
- Hot glue gun: to secure your buttons to the frame.
- Buttons: various shapes and sizes to decorate the frame.
Note: if you are a crafty person, you might also be interested in our tutorial collection for DIY acorn crafts!
6. DIY Button Necklaces
This project shines a whole new light on wearing buttons. Creating button necklaces are an inexpensive way to accessorize. This tutorial shows you how to combine a few components to make an attractive finished piece that goes with virtually any casual outfit. To complete these beautiful necklaces, you will need:
- Necklace chains: to display the attractive finished projects.
- Crafting wire: to decorate the buttons.
- 2-Hole buttons: to wrap with wire and wear.
7. DIY Button Earrings
As if necklaces were not enough, you also have the ability to make stylish fabric button earrings. These completely personalized pieces can be custom made to match your clothing or accent them entirely. For this project you will need:
- Fabric: to use to make buttons.
- Button making kits: to cover with the fabric of your choice.
- Hot glue gun: to secure the earring posts to the buttons.
- Earring posts: to attach to the back of your buttons.
8. DIY Button Coasters
These cool coasters keep beverages off your tables and counters. Not only are they extremely reliable, they are also fun and easy to incorporate into any space. This is a project that takes only a few minutes to complete and a lifetime to enjoy. For this project you will need:
- Cardstock: to provide a clean and flat work surface to complete this project.
- Painters tape: to provide a non-stick backing while the coasters are drying.
- Buttons: to use as the surface for the coasters.
- Hot glue gun: to hold the buttons together and act as a filler between the buttons.
9. DIY Bug Buttons
Using buttons to make bugs is not only a fun project, but it can also be used as a learning experience. This family friendly project teaches your little ones the various parts of insects while you work together to create a fun bug they can hold on to. To get started, gather the following items:
- Buttons: to create the bodies and heads of the bugs.
- Silly eyes: to give your bugs a more entertaining appearance.
- Hot glue gun: to make sure your silly bugs have silly eyes to see things with!
- Crafting wire: to give your bugs legs, tentacles, and tails.
Whether you are looking for a learning experience, a nice piece of fashion jewelry, or simply trying to create an attractive decorative piece, these DIY button craft ideas are sure to provide you with endless customizable entertainment. Each of these DIY projects can be completed in minutes if you have the right tools and materials at your disposal. Do you have any suggestions for quick & fun projects to include on this list?