Capturing memories and framing them is a way to relive special moments in your life each and every day. Adorning your walls, shelves, or other places in your home with creative DIY picture frames adds character and charm to any space. Creating picture frames as a decorative and functional item in your home is both enjoyable and affordable. We’ve pulled together quite a few picture frame tutorials and provided you with some amazing DIY picture frame ideas. Read on to get started.
1. DIY Mason Jar Picture Frame
This DIY Mason jar frame is functional as a vase and will display one of your favorite photos as well as some flowers. It would make a great sentimental gift and is easy enough for a child to complete with adult supervision. Follow this vase picture frame tutorial for directions on how to complete this simple and creative DIY picture frame.
- Clean Mason jar. Mason jars make the perfect vase for a bouquet of flowers.
- Pantone’s Radiant Orchid Paint by Valspar. You can choose any color of paint that you prefer, but the orchid color is nice.
- Paint brush. Evenly spread the paint onto the Mason jar with your paint brush of choice.
- Painter’s tape. Use painter’s tape on the area that you don’t want painted. This will also be the area where your photograph will be seen through the Mason jar. You also use painters tape to attach your photo to the inside of the jar.
- Clear spray paint. Set your paint with a coat of clear spray paint.
2. DIY Pallet Picture Frame
Pallets create a rustic looking DIY picture frame for your pictures and this pallet frame tutorial will show you how to make a frame in just a few hours time. Do not be intimidated by the number of materials needed for this project because it is easy to assemble once you have everything ready.
- 1 x 3’s cut to size for the frame and smaller boards to brace the back of the frame.
- Foam Brushes. Use the foam brushes to paint the wood pieces.
- Wood Stain. Stain the wood before placing the boards tightly together. You can be creative and layer a couple colors of stain or just use one color.
- Wood Glue. Glue the boards together by using the two smaller boards as a brace at the back of the frame. Use the wood glue on the braces and then put a couple small cans on top so they will dry, then use it to attach the picture mat, cardstock, and photo to the wood.
- 11 x 14 Black Picture Mat. The black picture mat is glued directly to the wood.
- Smaller 5 x 7 Mat. This mat is glued around the photo.
- 8 x 11 Cardstock. Glue this piece of cardstock to the black picture mat. You may have to cut it to size.
- Sanding Paper/block. Create a slightly distressed look to your frame by lightly sanding the edges of the wood.
- Sawtooth Picture Hanger. Attach the picture hanger to the back of the picture frame.
3. DIY Washi Tape Picture Frame
Washi tape is both fun and functional. This Washi tape frame tutorial is super easy to follow and is great for the beginner crafter because you could complete it from start to finish in one sit-down. Since Washi tape comes in all colors and designs you can easily make this project to spruce up your living space. You only need a few supplies and you will be ready to create this fun and easy DIY picture frame.
- Simple wooden frame. It can be hung on the wall or set on a surface either vertically or horizontally.
- White paint. The white paint will provide a clean and crisp background for the Washi tape.
- Washi tape. You can choose any colors or designs that suit your fancy. The Washi tape is applied much like masking tape.
- Mod Podge. Add Mod Podge to seal your design and keep the Washi tape in place.
4. DIY Rustic Twig Picture Frame
Bring nature inside your home by making a rustic twig frame. This project works well for a group craft session or an activity for children. There aren’t too many materials and the frame can be completed within a couple hours. You can use this DIY rustic twig picture frame tutorial to learn how to assemble the frame.
- Wooden craft frame. The wooden craft frame provides the surface for the sticks to adhere to.
- Pruning shears. Cutting the twigs to size is made easy with this tool.
- Brown acrylic paint. Paint the wooden frame and let it dry for at least one hour.
- Foam brush. Paint the frame using the ideal brush.
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks. The glue gun will secure the twigs to the frame.
- 40-50 small twigs (1/16 to ¼ inch diameter). Adding twigs little by little to the frame will create dimension and texture.
- Decorative moss. Embellish the frame with moss or flowers.
5. DIY Map Picture Frame
This is a great DIY picture frame for someone who enjoys traveling and wants to display their adventures. It is another project that is easily completed in a short amount of time with only a few materials. Read this map frame tutorial to find out exactly how a map can surround a frame to make your memories stand out.
- Frame. You can use any frame you might have lying around, but choose one that has a wider border so you can appreciate the map as well as the picture.
- Map. Choose an inexpensive map because you will be ripping it up to add to your frame.
- Mod Podge. The Mod Podge will act as a glue and sealant in this project. Use it to glue the map pieces to the frame and add a couple more protective coats when you have the frame the way you would like.
A picture is worth a thousand words so you should make sure to include some of your favorite pictures within your home décor. Enjoy your memories and display photographs in one or more of the frames shown in these DIY picture frame tutorials.